CODIGORO

Where is located

The municipality of Codigoro lies in the easternmost part of the province of Ferrara in the Po Delta Regional Park in Emilia-Romagna. The last eastern offshoot of the Po Valley lies between the Comacchio Valleys and the coast of the Adriatic Sea

When to go and what to see

This is an important agricultural centre in the Ferrara lowlands and its historical evolution is closely-linked to the centuries-long history of land reclamation. Caput Gauri, from which its current name derives, was the name given to the centre in the Middle Ages, since it stood at the point where the branch of the Po di Goro river joined that of the Po di Volano.

 

Along the Riviera Cavallotti, which provides a wonderful view of the river, it is possible to reach the Palazzo del Vescovo (the Bishop’s Residence), built in the 11th century and restored in the 18th century in the Venetian style

Do not miss

A masterpiece of Romanesque art, not to be missed is the splendid Pomposa Abbey, built by the Benedictine monks around the 6th century on the Insula Pomposia, a wooded island surrounded by two branches of the river and protected from the sea. After the year 1000, its golden age began and it became a flourishing monastic centre, whose fortunes were linked to the figure of the abbot San Guido. It welcomed illustrious figures of the time, including Guido d'Arezzo, the monk who invented musical composition based on the seven-note system. 

 

The evocative Canneviè Oasis, a small brackish valley and ancient valley relict of a larger complex of coastal lagoons that once surrounded Pomposa Abbey is also worth visiting. It is accessible on foot and includes a nature trail equipped for birdwatching. Motorboat trips also leave from here.

Video-Racconti dal Delta del Po